About Me

My photo
I am a student at AUCB studying Costume with Performance Design. This blog is all bout my last project in 2nd year, Self Directed Project

Wednesday, 23 May 2012

My second lesson

For this lesson I went with T-shirts for the children to tie dye and the wire and centercane with the purple netting to be rapped round them.

The Teachers had brout another 30 T-shirts so all the children in the class could tie dye there own T-shirt. S o the first thing we did was have the children line up out side and name all the T-shirts so we know who's is who's. Then I sat them down and demonstrated how to rap marbles and peaces of plastic that I had brout with me tightly with string enfersizing the tighter it is the better they will turn out.

Ater see that the children were not really tying the string well enough I thought elastic bands would be better so we got elastic bands and the children seemed to be tying them better. After the children were happily tying there T-shirts up I went to sort out the dying buckets and started to prepare my self. I took small groups of about 6 to the dye buckets and explained what dye I used and how I use soda ash to hold the colour and how it is not salt which is used in hot walter dyes and salt only desolves with hot water and not cold. The the children put there tied T-shirts into the buckets they al found this the best bit and were all very existed to sutra.

After getting all the T-sherts in the buckets for just after 2 that means they have about an hour to soke in the colour.

Next was to rap the wire and centercane after demonstrating this and asking if they could all get into pares my plan seemed to start to fall apart the neat bundles I had made were not sticking together and after about 20mins of the exercise the children were starting to get bored and there was wire and centercane randomly on the floor I was worried about this as I had used all the wire and centercane to make these there were no spare peaces incase some got lost. as it got closer to 3.10 I knew I had made a mistake as the children all seemed to be getting distracted and irritated as they could not rap the netting round neatly also they had no urgency to get them finished.

At the end of the lesson I had 3/4 of the wire and centercane rapped. They were not all perfect and I was sure some of them would have to be touched up next lesson, but I was pleased that I had the majority done. I stayed late to help rinse out the T-shirts and hug them to dry over night so they will be ready for tomorrow.

This lesson tourt me a lot as I think if I had had a rotation of activities on the children would have enjoyed it much more and there attention span wouldn't have wondered as it did. For next lesson I will have finishing of the rapping painting the spots as a rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment